"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it". Matthew 7:13-14

Thursday 16 April 2009

Anger

How is it that small things, in the bigger scheme of things can consume your every waking thought. Day-to-day things that 'happen' to us, can have such negative effects on our peace, and affect our walk with God.

If people take actions that affect us in a negative way, the normal response is to get annoyed, then upset, finally angry. Before you know it, you are railing about the injustices you see in the situation. We are expert at seeing how inconsiderate and thoughtless other people actions are when they directly affect us.

Our minds go into overdrive and we play and re-play the event that caused the anger over and over. I usually find that well after the 'event' ,when I am in post mortem mode, I come up with some pretty snappy 'one liners', really excellent 'put downs' that would have made my point, and allowed me to gain the moral victory that from my viewpoint I so richly deserved.

It is usually then that I am reminded, that I am supposed to love the person who has hurt or offended me, I am meant to turn the other cheek, I am meant to forgive before I can be forgiven. Now that is hard, especially when your internal justice system, has judged the other person guilty.

Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.

If we walk in the spirit the bitterness and anger we feel in the natural will be replaced with a peace. Blessed are the peace makers. Anger takes away our peace, and our blessing, and gives direct access for Satan to put his poison, into our thoughts.

Col 3:8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth.

It is a choice we make to put off all these things, and to put on the armour of God. Allowing us to be slow to get angry thereby maintaining our peace.

Pro 19:11 The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, And his glory is to overlook a transgression.

Lord give us the ability to recognise when we are about to 'get angry' and give us the wisdom to deal with these situations to reflect your life in us.

Finally ............ a thought for to-day

Open your ears to God before you open your mouth to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment